Thursday 7 March 2013

TOPSY TURVEY CUP TIE

Central Midlands League
Floodlit Cup: Semi Final South
PINXTON FC 2 SOUTHWELL CITY FC 3

I was going to Newark Town v AFC Mansfield but with good friend Darren Wraggs 8 year old son being admitted to hospital, Darren of course had family business and we hope that his lad Liam is soon back home.

On the way to pay the Notts Senior League Groundhop coach, Hazel asked me if there was any other local games on, as she would drop me off, I had seen Pinxton FC advertise this match on Twitter.

On entry to the ground I was greeted by the Pinxton Committee and Managers and offered a cuppa in the Committee Room, they then had business to attend to so I made my own and then club sec arrived and I made her a cuppa tea but she only drinks coffee..daft me for not asking Jane. So when 2 of the Southwell Committee arrived I made them the tea.

Said hello to the officials of the game and also to the assessors and headed up to pitchside and then headed to the tea bar where they sell the biggest cups of coffee I've at a footie match for just 70p and then I tucked in to home made meat pie, mushy peas and gravy, its was beauitful and just what was needed.

Pinxton started the brighter of the two teams and looked more likely to score first, I ventured round the side of the pitch and met up with Selston FC Clubman Adam Gregory and spent the first half with him chatting about the upcoming NSL Groundhop, as his club has the 10.10am kick off v Wollaton FC on Saturday 20th April.

On the half hour came the turning point of the game, as Pinxton Fc were awarded a penalty and with the keeper beaten, the ball crashed against the post and was cleared. Eight minutes later and Southwell City were in front, when a ball came in from the right and Frost in the Pinxton goal seemed to have hold of the ball but the forward clashed in to him, leaving him needing treatment on the ground, the ball hit the bar and BRADLEY WELLS smashed the ball in to the empty net. Despite appeals from the Pinxton team, the ref allowed the goal to stand.

Half time came and I strolled over to the stand for a seat as it was getting abit chilly and I had hardly taken my seat when in the 48th minute, a ball from the right found out KEIRAN WELLS who headed the visitors in to a 2 goal lead sending the Southwell Committee of 5 in to raptures.

Pinxton FC began to press forward but this left gaps at the back and on 55 minutes a free kick was conceded on the right just outside the box, it was swung in and Frost went to punch the ball away but it fell to the feet of visiting winger NEWTON who slid the ball home.

Within a minute and on the next attack Pinxton had reduced the arrears to 3-1 when Jay Cooper's shot crashed against the crossbar and WAYNE COOKE followed up and planted the ball in to the net.

Pinxton now seemed more determined and lay siege at the Southwell goal, but found the keeper in good form or the ball deflecting for a corner until 88 minutes the ball was scrambled out of the Southwell defence and the ball was smashed home from 20 yards, but I could see who scored it to make it 3-2.

In the 89th minute, there appeared to have been a trip inside the Southwell area on a Pinxton attacker, but the ref waved it away which in my view looked as if it was, but southwell hung on for the victory.

Pinxton FC Website

Pinxton FC Twitter

Southwell City Website


No comments:

Post a Comment