Thursday 20 September 2012

Blaze To Victory

SWPL Premier Division
ST BLAZEY 5 FALMOUTH TOWN 1
att: 130 approx
Admission £4
Programme £1

St Blazey is a club I'dseen away a couple of times whilst on holidays but never seen at home and it was time to put this right. After spending a lovely day in Lostwithel and Polpello, we headed for Blaize Park. On arrival we went in to the nice large clubhouse where I took in a pint of Blackthorn Cider and was greeted by a Blazey Official who was very friendly, throughout the evening nothing was too much trouble for this kind gentleman, what a credit to his club he is! He was near the gate as I entered the ground and we chattered for about 20 minutes and had a cuppa and was joined by my son Shawn who wanted a bottle of pop. Then came along Mike Odgers who I think follows Falmouth though I'm sure I've seen him at other Cornish games. Then a old friend of mine came along and said hello, it was Dave Baskwell, I know him from Plymouth Plymstock and not seen him for years, he came along with Mike Sampson and another SWPL official who'se name I always forget(sorry). 

As kick off was underway, I went and met local fan Paul and his friends and we chattered away. St Blazey were straight on the attack and it came as no surprise when they took the lead after just 7 minutes, the football was good but sometimes that final ball was missing but again after 34 minutes, they got it right to double their lead to 2-0. Falmouth then had their best part of the game and just before half time reduced the arrears. As the Half Time whilstle went, I headed to the car to see what Hazel and Shawn wanted to eat, as they were watching a DVD, they had sold out of pastys at the refreshment hut but there was food inside the clubhouse, so Hazel went in there whilst I got the cuppas, then the half time raffle was drawn and my number was the second one to be called and I'd won £12, so I took £10 and donated £2 back in to the clubs kitty.

The Second Half kicked off and I went over towards the Half Way line and stood talking to a family that had moved some years ago to Cornwall from Hampshire whilst still waiting for Hazel with me cheesy chips. I walked up a bit further along the line and in went goal number 3 for Blazey in the 46th minute. It was then I met local Cornish Football Historian David Deacon and his wife, I have had chats over the net through forums with Dave but never met him and what a nice chap he is. Just on the hour, Hazel arrived with me cheesy chips and how nice they were as well. Just as I began to tuck in to them on 65 minutes Blazey increased their lead to 4-1. By now the score could have been anything as it seemed to be one was traffic, but credit goes to Falmouth who never stopped battling, but had no reply to the young lads of Blazey and to finish the game off on 84 minutes, Blazey slotted the ball past the keeper in to a empty net.

As I walked towards the way out, I saw the chap who had made me feel so welcome and went to say goodbye and asked if he had found me a badge but he hadnt but told me to contact the club and they would send me one out..As a collector of Non League Football Mugs, I did notice at Half time a St Blazey Mug and asked if i could buy one, the true gent went and got me the 100 year Anniversary Club mug and wouldnt take anything for it. A lady then pasted and asked if I had enjoyed my cheesy chips and this was the lady who had cooked them and I told her they were first class.

If you are ever this way, pop in to St Blazey and you are sure of a friendly welcome, what a nice club.

Photos from the match..not many due to the glare of the floodlights, please click this link

St Blazey AFC Website

No comments:

Post a Comment