Saturday 25 August 2012

SHIREBROOK RAIN IN THE POINTS

SHIREBROOK TOWN 4 SELBY TOWN 2
NCEL DIVISION ONE
ADMISSION..SEE REPORT
PROGRAMME £1..(excellent programme)

With Hazel away this weekend, it meant where ever I went it was to be by bus..Having looked at the weather, I decided to not travel too far, so took up the invite of Shirebrook Town's kind offer to visit them.

I do have a soft spot for Shirebrook, a little town on the Notts/Derbyshire border, as my grandad Henry Dunstan lved there for many years with my gran Florence and my mother was bought up there, so I must have relatives still living there, as there are quite a few Dunstans so I'm told that live in Shirebrook, I've just not met any of them as yet.

I caught the 23 bus from the end of my road and 20 minutes later I was in Shirebrook, so went to a cafe for breakfast(what a mistake, I went to the worst cafe possibly in the area!). As I left the cafe, the rain began to fall, just where I had no cover, so I sheltered under a tree, until it began to thunder and lighten, so ran up the rest of the hill and in to the clubhouse, where I was greeted by the landlord who remembered me.

Paul then took me in to the ground as his guest, (but it was £4 entrance to which I have put in to the Charitys Blog) and I stood near the turnstile for a chat for a while..One thing that has altered at this club was the amount of committee folks and helpers they now have, which was great to see, as when I have been in the past, it has been the odd one or two people running around doing all the jobs.

I walked over to the far side of the ground just before kick off and took up a position just to the side of the halfway line, when greeted by Clipstone regulars Alan and his 2 mates who joined Mr Bowler Senior in he stand as the rain began to lash down heavier.

The game kicked off and it was the away side who had the first chance with Stephen Boot knocking the ball over for a corner, it all chanced then when Shirebrook started to play neat passing football and on 11 minutes, Lee BOWLER's downward header from 20 yards left the keeper standed to give the home side the lead. Shirebrook then turned the heat up on their opponents and looked like getting a second and we didnt have long to wait when Jake VERNON pounced to score his first of the day.

Just as I was debating whether or not to brave the monsoon to get a cuppa, the visitors were back in it on 44 minutes when they scored.

Some harsh words must have been said in the changing rooms at half time, as Shirebrook looked more up for the half and on the hour they were awarded a free kick which player manager Gary Castledine took and Lee BOWLER headed home his second of the game to make it 3-1. At this stage the home side should have wrapped the game up and gone out of sight but poor finishing left the door ajar for Selby and on 86 minutes they reduced the score to 3-2 and were back in the game for a nervy ending.

Shirebrook broke away as Selby pushed bodies forward looking for a point and Jake VERNON took full advantage as he slotted home his second of the game and made the final score 4-2.

I would like to thank Mr Bowler Senior for a lift back to Mansfield after the match, also the Shirebrook Committee for their kind hospitality.

Pics from todays match can be seen on

Shirebrook Town FC Website

Selby Town FC Website

Dont forget you can add me to twitter and follow me on



No comments:

Post a Comment